Published on April 17th, 2013 | by Surminga0
Using Instagram to Promote a Business
Instagram Marketing Strategy Tips
Do you use Instagram on a personal level? Instagram is an app for mobiles that allows you to edit photo’s and share those pictures with your followers. In 2012 the app saw its user base explode from 15 to 80 million users after the acquisition of the app by Facebook.
Prior to the acquisition, brands were taking the opportunity and exploring the avenue – especially retail brands offering visual content which would be an easy task sharing and going viral. Clothing, media, and design-based brands were a natural fit for both the platform technology and Instagram’s early adopter user base.
Where Instagram differs from the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and LinkedIn, there is only one type of user and profile. There is no option for pages, groups, communities or even paid advertising options. Which is great, it is kept clean, simple and to the task of sharing photo’s and images.
Why is Instagram perfect for Marketing and not just another Social Networking Site
There is 3 main reasons as to why Instagram has such a large user base and will continue to grow and they are -
- The Simplicity – Instagram could not be easier to use. All you need is a smartphone (Android or iPhone) and the app which is free! Signing up can either be via your social profile on Twitter or Facebook or simply using an e-mail address. Once register you can start straight away by taking a photo in-app or retrieving one from your photo album. With any of your images you can use a filter which are all preset and easily viewable, then give your image a name and description and that is you done.
- Allows for Visual Story telling with Ads – The greatest thing about Instagram is that they have not gone down the advertising route in order to make an advertising return from the many users. It leaves the site clean and solely focused on the images of those you follow.
- It is Mobile - Mobile development for businesses has been the focus for the past year or so and is continuing to grow. With a large chunk of the worlds population now mobile, the need to capture this audience is becoming more vital as people are moving away from the conventional laptops for iPads and tablets.
Six Tips to Instagram Marketing Strategy Success
Here are our six top tips to Instagram Marketing success for your brand or business -
1. Use images to tell a story, not only images of your products and brand.
2. Your Photo will fall into a category using hashtags – but mainly it will either be around humour or beautiful images. These will get shared most often.
3. Don’t post too often – everyone hates spam and too many pictures could be annoying to your followers.
4. Choose an account name that’s the same as your Twitter usernames.
5. Use hashtags, but don’t overdo it.
6. Link it to your Facebook and Twitter accounts.
The most important thing to remember is that a picture is worth a 1,000 words. Show off your brand, show off what your brand likes, make sure the images you post are related to your brand and not pointless – the more related to your brand and the better the images the more shares and followers you will gain.